Downsizing can be a great option when your home no longer fits your needs and vision for aging. Making a move at any age is a huge task and later life moves can be especially challenging.
There is a significant amount of work involved in organizing and executing a move.
- Knowing where you stand financially.
- Knowing what your home is worth and how to sell it for top dollar.
- Knowing what options for new housing are available.
- Applying for new housing
- Facilitating a move.
- …the list goes on and on.
If you are like most people, the thought of it all is overwhelming. You are likely worried you will forget an important step and you likely don’t have the time or energy to figure it all out!
Too often, seniors and their family members scramble to try and find new living arrangements. By the time the move happens, everyone is exhausted, fed-up and ready to not see each other for 6 months.
How I help a senior looking to downsize
Through 1-on-1 sessions, we will focus on the areas of your downsize and move that are causing the most uncertainty and overwhelm.
Each individual situation is unique. All sessions and topics are tailored for your needs.
- Understand what housing options will support your healthcare needs.
- Know what services are covered under your personal health coverage versus public health.
- Know the cost of purchasing health care services.
- Aware of community services/resources available.
- If selling your home, we will make sure that it is optimized for the market, so that you can get top dollar.
- Review options for updates and staging prior to selling.
- Help you select professionals to help and can provide you with options for trusted real-estate agents, if applicable.
Exploring Housing Options
- Examine potential future housing options that can support your aging needs and vision.
- Provide detailed profiles on housing options.
- Arrange on-site visits.
- Explain intake process and help you complete applications and required paperwork.
Essential Documents and Plans
- Make sure you have all the necessary information to ensure all your essential documents are in place and updated.
- Includes your will, appointed powers of attorney and advanced care plans.
Preparing to Move
- Depending on where you are in your process, we can help with downsizing and organizing, planning what you will keep and what needs to be discarded.
- Can provide coaching to take you through a structured process or can connect you with trusted local professionals.
- Provide you with concise checklist and resources to help with your upcoming move.
- Examine your current financial position. (Income, expenses, liabilities and assets)
- Get clear picture of your financial situation and explore future costs including housing and healthcare expenses.
- Provide you with resources to help plan your retirement income and/or debt management options.
Having someone guide me to the resources and services out there would have been amazing.
Attempting to make decisions about what to do next is difficult. Professionals have this knowledge.
Some expert advice would have been helpful. It is very overwhelming and emotional work.
Examples of how I can help
Betty was ready to downsize but was overwhelmed with the next steps
- We did an assessment of all areas of her life
- We clarified her vision for aging to determine what type of housing options may be suitable
- We did a financial check-up to determine what her monthly budget for housing
- We researched potential housing options to suit her needs
- We presented her with options for consideration and set-up on-site visits
Claire was no longer able to stay in her family home due to her health status
- We did an assessment of all areas of her life
- We made a plan to have her essential documents updated, including her will, POA and funeral plans
- We completed her advanced health care directive
- We introduced her to the long-term care intake process
- We presented her with detailed profiles on three long-term care homes of her choice
- We connected her with the intake coordinator and helped her complete the necessary paperwork
Does this service include you sorting through my items?
What additional costs are there?
Will my family be involved?
Remember! This package also includes a bonus emails to update family members, should you desire.
Can you help my family member who has dementia?
If required, we are able to work with Powers of Attorneys and/or refer families to better suited local resources.
Please note that we always maintain the best interest of the client as the primary professional obligation; the client being the senior.
Will you move my personal belongings?
How does payment work?
Following the consultation, we send you a customized estimate specific to your move. This will outline if we anticipate additional service costs and standard terms and conditions. We do our best to stick to the base package price of $399.
When you accept and sign the estimate a 50% deposit on estimated services is required.
At the end of the move the remaining 50% is due within 30 days of receipt of invoice.
All payments not received within 30 days will be subject to interest charges.
Payment can be accepted through cheque, cash, paypal, e-transfer.